Monday, July 27, 2009

out of laziness, and in part because of a lingering gift card, Reid and i decided to eat at Avantis tonight. while eating at Avantis is usually a big mistake followed by tummy aches, tonight's outing turned into hilarity. for me.

our waitress came to our table to take our drink order, and right after asking what we'd like to drink, a little girl on the other side of the wall screamed one of those hideous-only-a-mother-could-love-it child screams. in classy kara-manner, i said to the waitress, "i'll have what she's having." and promptly busted out laughing. i admit, it wasn't that funny, but i was making reference to When Harry Met Sally and proceeded to say, "it was supposed to be funny." to explain my behavior. why can't i tell a joke? this has been a constant laughing matter in our marriage, and tonight just epitomized my lack of joke-tellingness.

ah.

one of the things that i've been very thankful for lately is the laughter that's resurfaced in my marriage. in spite of some horrible things happening to us this year, i'm glad that Reid and i can make each other laugh and just be silly together.

of course, my life isn't filled with laughter, it's only a small part of what helps keep me ticking each day. more and more lately, i find myself in a very deep depression that probably doesn't show to others because i seem to spend 80% of my waking hours working and you just can't be a depressed doof when you're working with people all day. i've had talks with friends about going to a counselor (our first attempt at counseling led to a recommendation of some James Dobson writings which totally threw me for a loop) and possibly getting on medication, but i've never been the kind of person to just say, "ok, i give up...medicate me!"

on a different note, we're about to finish watching Purple Rain...a film i'm sure i'll only have to see once in my life. hopefully.

0 comments:

Post a Comment